I baked this divine apple cinnamon cake which is perfect for Rosh Hashanah. I'm not usually a fan of cooked or baked apples but this cake is something else!
6 large apples (eg: Cortland, Honeycrisp or Granny Smith) cored, peeled, quartered and thinly sliced.
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp spelt or regular flour
1 3/4 cups brown sugar
1 cup light olive oil
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups spelt or regular flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup Apple juice
confectioner's sugar for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 175.Coat a 12 cup Bundt pan or 9 x 13 inch baking pan with nonstick spray.
2. Filling: In a large bowl, combine all filling ingredients.Toss to combine .
3. Batter: in the Large bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat eggs with sugar,oil and vanilla on medium high speed for 3-5 minutes, until light.
4. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
5. Reduce mixer speed to low. Add half of flour mixture ;then blend in juice, followed by remaining flour mixture. Use a rubber spatula to fold in apples.
6. Pour batter into prepared pan; spread evenly.
7. Bake about 1 hour and 15 minutes if using a Bundt pan or 1 hour if using a 9 x 13 - inch cake in pan. Dust cake with confectioners sugar when cool.