This is my mom's DIVINE Challah Recipe.To make whole wheat Challah, simply substitute the white flour with whole wheat.
3 cubes yeast or 3 packets 10g dried yeast
4 1/2 cups of lukewarm water
1 1/2 cups of sugar
1 cup of oil
3 1/2 heaped tablespoons of salt
15 - 16 cups of cake flour or whole wheat flour
1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in lukewarm water and add sugar and wait ten minutes before continuing.
2. Add all ingredients, besides flour and mix well.
3. Sift flour and add slowly while mixing.Knead mixture well until it has a stiff but smooth consistency. ( If sticky, add a bit of oil. Dough rises nicely when oiled on all sides.)
4. Place in a warm spot and cover.
5. Allow dough to rise until it has doubled in size. Approx. 4-5 hours.
6. Punch dough down so that there are no air pockets.
7. Recite the following blessing before separating a piece of dough approximately the size of an egg.
Baruch Atah Ah-do-noi E-lo-hey-nu Melech Ha-olam Asher Kid-shanu B'mitz-vo-tav Vi-tzi-vanu Li-haf-rish Challah ( i.e. to separate Challah) and while separating, say: Harei Ze Challah -" This is Challah"
8. Grease pans or use baking paper.
9. Divide dough into pieces and shape into individual loaves.
10. Preheat oven to 180.
11. Glaze Challah with egg yolk and sprinkle with poppy seeds or sesame seeds.
12. Bake for 30 minutes or until browned.
This recipe makes 6 Big Challahs. You can freeze them once they have cooled off and take them out on Friday afternoon or when needed. If you want them to be warm for the meal you can put them in the oven before Shabbos.